Saturday, March 26, 2011

A bit of a conundrum...

I'm at a bit of an impasse. In my family when something irritating occurs, see where you're at after 24 hours. Is it still making you cringe, or have you moved on? So dear readers, all 11 of you, what would you do?

I had the pleasure of accompanying my 3rd grade son on his field trip yesterday. Said trip was to Rollhaven in Grand Blanc. The trip is $4.00 and advertises that the 3rd graders will be joining the 2nd graders, therefore having a chance to say "Hi" to their teachers from last year. The 2nd graders will have a chance to meet the 3rd grade teachers, in preparation for next year. Awesome.

Here's the thing, in a dark, NOISY rollerskating arena, ain't nobody meeting or talking to nobody. What you have instead is about 250ish 7-9 year olds running CRAZY...CRAZY. Here's the other thing, the arena doesn't just have rollerskating. There is also laser tag and a jump house (think Micky D's playland) at an additional cost of $3 each. ALSO, there is a minature Chuckee Cheese area. Games can be played for 25 or 50 cents each, and tickets are spit out to redeem for prizes. (((sigh))) There is also a snack stand if a field tripper wishes to purchase a snack.

Here is my problem. If you pay only the $4 for your kid to attend, they will just be skating. Which is great. Although, my estimate would be, at least 1/2 the children appeared to have little interest in skating. Most were mobbing the games, buying candy/ice cream, hanging from the bounce house, and engaging in rowsing battles in the laser tag room. These kids were pumped full of cash before they left the house in the morning. Gage and I stood in line at the change machine and watched 2 kids change $10 bills for quarters. (That was in the 5 minutes we were in line.) WHAT? Who gives their 2nd/3rd grader that much money for a field trip? Maybe the intention was they would use part of it for a snack. Clearly, that wasn't happening. Makes me wonder how much money was spent total by all the kids...

Anyway, the kids take this field trip in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. It seems to be some sort of a reward for March is Reading Month. Or as my dad says, a nice break day for the teachers. He's allowed to say that. He retired from the trenches. I personally think they could be a little more creative. If you're not a rich kid (here we would say if you don't live on the lake), you're at a clear disadvantage on this trip. I think they need to figure out a way to level the playing field, or put the old cabosh on this one. It's a stupid, dumb trip. Yes, I'm swearing. Please don't show this to my children.

So the conundrum is, do I write a carefully worded letter to the powers at be? Or do I just let it go? Weigh in with your thoughts, or send me an email. If you totally disagree with me, that's OK with me to. Just putting out my feelers. Cuz you know, if I write the letter, I will be further classified as "freak mom". Oh look, it's one of those crazy religious/conservative lunatics that plans to shelter her children from everything until they rebel into a crazy frenzy and start drinking soda and watching Sponge Bob and are never heard from again....Whatever. It's hard trying to be a mom that gives a crap.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am right there with you! I felt the same way last year too. I was always of the thought that field trips are supposed to be educational. This is any thing but educational. I almost wrote a letter myself, but am still thinking that over too. I sent Colin with $5 over and above the original $4 to skate, it was intended & discussed that it was to play laser tag, and a small snack. What he actually did with it is buy a $2.50 soda pop (with caffiene!!!) and (he says) purchased a hand buzzer( what I suspect is he played video games that gave him prize tickets). He is paying me back half of that $5 from his own money. Am I irritated?!? Yes!!!

Allison Hunt said...

Holly, I gave Gage basically the same amount of money. I paid for laser tag and I changed $3.00 in quarters for him. Which got him a rope bracelet and 4 Tootsie Rolls, the little ones. Maybe I'll write a letter and have you read it. See what you think. Maybe they should offer this an an afterschool activity. At least it would be a choice. Thank you for responding, not just because you agree with me. But that helps :-)

Unknown said...

Dido! This was the first field trip Josh has taken all year and it wasn't very educational. If this was intended for a meet and greet then they should've introduced the teachers because Josh had no idea this year who these teachers were. Pretty disappointed. I put out enough money through the year with all the fund raisers and not too mention donating items to both the boys classrooms. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing it but at least the boys somehow benefit from it. But this field trip... hmmmmm. not so much!

Brittan said...

WRITE A LETTER!
:)

N2Mommy said...

I agree that writing a letter is a great idea. I gave Nathan money as well for him to play laser tag and have a snack (in addition to the skating). He said the laser tag was too full, so he played video games and had that same hand buzzer Holly AND bought a $2.50 soda pop (caffeine as well)! I am seeing a pattern here! And with just starting a new job, I couldn't attend this field trip but I did have my concerns about it because I knew it would be chaotic with that many kids and too many options for them to decide without a parent... :( I would vote for an educational field trip or limit the skating field trip to just that... skating and not all the other stuff.