Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Power of "Thank You"

I think we underestimate the value of two little words...Thank. You. There is no better way to express our appreciation, than a sincere "Thank You"!

Let us all not forget, it's not just for those who we feel deserve the praise. Yes, we try to express our gratitude to our loved ones every chance we get. Sometimes, we get the kids right on making those nice handmade cards, sometimes not...but the point is we keep trying, witht the best of intentions. Actually, that wasn't my point. The real point is, EVERYONE deserves a thank you. The person working at the store where you are making a return, is not obligated to to perform miracles on your behalf. However, when you are treated with kindness, or heck, let's get crazy and say the clerk has his/her grumpy shorts on that day, smile at the end of your transaction. Tell him or her "Thank you". If it was an especially tricky request/problem, and that person was able to help you, live on the edge and throw out a "Thank you so much. You just made my day a little easier".

I've worked in customer service, and I'm pretty sure most of us have at one time or another. If you haven't, you should. At least for 30 days or so to get the "flavor" of dealing with the public. It isn't always pretty. Go out there and be that customer that defies the rules!

(Darn keystroke! Who knows on Windows 7 why this keeps happening?) Anyway, I can not stress enough, you children are watching. Every word you say, every move you make. They are learning from you! That is a huge responsibility. Kindness and consideration ranks pretty high in my book. Now I know my husband and my mom may be reading this...quit making faces. We all have our grumpy days. However, if my children grow up as self-centered individuals...I will have failed. Flat out F.A.I.L.E.D. I really do try to show them a way of life that puts others first. I remind them often, you're part of a family, and families do things for each other. I heard one time, if you are dating someone, watch how they treat a waiter/waitress. That will give you huge insight on the way they respect people in general. I don't wanna raise a naughty kid.

I hope this doesn't sound preachy. That wasn't what I intended. This topic has just come up in my house recently. (No. It wasn't my children or husband. Husband is very considerate. I just ignore the kids.) Just two little words. That's all I want to hear...

(These blogs would totally get all marked up with a red pen in English 101. Yikes! Hopefully the flow improves soon! My sincere apologies :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said, Allison! I think it goes right along with our Lenten Readers this morning.

And no one is reading for the typos... you're human, no one's paying attention to the tiny mistakes.

Thank you for writing for all of us! You made my morning!