Sunday, March 27, 2011

Just another day in paradise...

Today definately ended a bit differently than I would have predicted at 7am this morning. We were up in plenty of time to visit my grandma, run errands, go to church, or any combination of the above. However, as we were reading the paper, Gage pititifully (is that a word?) announced, "I don't feel very good." In all honesty, I should have seen this coming. He had been complaining off and on for about 4 days. "My nose is really snotty. My throat is sore. I didn't sleep very good last night." But, as it always goes, life keeps moving and the tough, brave kids keep rolling along with it. Gage is that kid. It takes a lot to knock him down. He has never taken an antibiotic. He misses very few days of school. He just keeps keepin' on.

So I look at him this morning, after the announcement, and he just doesn't look well. So I do all the mom stuff. Quiz him about how sore his throat is, how bad does his tummy feel? He eventually throws up a couple times, falls asleep, and just hangs out on the couch. Garth is trying to convince me that he's throwing up because of all the drainage, etc. I, however, all day am hearing this voice whispering "Strep. Strep." Why do these voices whisper on Sunday afternoons?

After googling "strep" upsidedown and backwards, I was thoroughly convinced that's what we had and decided to take him to urgent care. Well, long story short, he's got strep. Bad news, all the pharmacies in the burbs close at 6 on Sundays. I didn't feel like driving into the city tonight. A carjacking would have really wrecked our day. So we will be at the Meijer pharmacy in our jammies (well, not really) bright and early tomorrow morning. At least I won't have to spend 1/2 the day dragging my poor sick boy around town for a diagnosis. We got that part out of the way!

Good news: Made 1 of 3 curtains for our back door/windows. At least I got something done today. Oh, and picked up Gage a new bike. That was actually the errand we were planning to run as a family today, but it sounds better to say we bought him a new bike because he came down with strep throat!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oooh, sorry Gage is sick - yuck-O! But Yea on the new bike!!! Hope he is up and back to normal soon - he needs to be able to enjoy his spring break!