Saturday, March 19, 2011

Daddy Daughter Dance

A couple weeks ago, Claire received a flier advertising the Daddy-Daughter Dance taking place at school this Saturday. I thought maybe this would be a good year to send her and Garth off to what I pictured as a gaggle of ruffles, lace, and giggles. I showed it to Garth and he said "Sure. Why not?" So I did a little nosing around and found out, yes, we did know other families that would be attending. An idea was born...

Okay, so now we need a dress. That one was easy. She has a really cute, dressy dress from Easter last year. Shoes...yup easy. The silver shoes from the holidays are still fitting just fine. (Probably the good moms go out and a buy a brand new dress with matching shoes.) So far this is turning out to be pretty painless (and cheap! I love cheap!).

Fast forward to last night. I finally got out of Garth that he really didn't want to wear a suit. He was pretty sure khaki pants would look better with her dress. If you know him, you know he's quite the fashionista. You can tell by his high maintenance hairstyle. So anyway, I had this little dream in my head that his shirt/tie should at least somewhat match Claire's dress. I assume that could be accomplished at Target. We popped in there last night and they had all of 6 ties choices, and about the same choices of button down shirts. Claire really liked the baby pink tie, which her agreeable daddy said was fine, but I didn't. Her dress isn't baby pink, it's more coral pink. A baby pink tie simply wasn't going to work. I was starting to sweat just a little.

We're on the way home and a plan was forming in my head. The kids were really looking forward to watching "Megamind" for their Friday Night Movie. So, Garth can settle in with them and I'll run up to Kohls. About this time it occurs to me, that we never really settled "the corsage" issue. Do we need one? Do we not? Time to call in the experts. I texted a veteran mom. Me: What's the deal with the corsage for the Daddy-Daughter Dance? Do we need one? She immediately texts me back: Oh yes. Some sort of flower is highly advised. Me: Fine. I'll find something to strap to her wrist. Geesh!

So now I'm on my way to Kohls, with a side trip to Hobby Lobby. I can accomplish anything with a glue gun! I'm thinking the chances of just popping into a florist and picking up a corsage are slim. Plus, I have no idea what that costs. So at this point, I'm taking control of the situation, and making it myself. Totally, lucked out. The whole aisle of brideal gaudiness was 1/2 off. I picked up enough stuff to make a gorgeous (well, maybe slightly tacky) wrist corsage fit for a princess. Fortunately she's at that age, where lots of ribbons, pearls, and fluff make for a successful fashion statement.

Next stop Kohls, PERFECT tie! Matches her dress and everything! I was quite excited. Ran home, plugged in the glue gun and got busy being the florist that I'm not! Corsage came togehter. Shirt and tie fit hubby. All is well.

So tonight they embark on their big adventure. I did not make them reservations at a 4 star restaurant or rent a limo. Hopefully, those things aren't mandatory. She will be rightfully claiming her role as Daddy's Princess. She picked out a little tiara comb hair accessory at Target that I must get into her hair (oh, the pressue!). I'm sure they will look adorable. An evening to remember...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She looked beautiful Love mom