Thursday, March 3, 2011

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Last night, after a very eventful day, I updated my Facebook status with a complete and utter lie. In my defense, I didn't realize this until the middle of the night. I advertised my trip to the emergency room with Brady, as my first trip to the ER. However, that is not true.

My very first trip to the ER was with, you guessed it, Brady as well. When he was 2 weeks old, we were wisked to Hurley after a brief visit at the pediatricians office. He arrived by ambulance and went directly to the ER. I eventually figured out where and how to park my car, that can be challenging for a person who was probably in shock at that point. His heart was racing and he needed some immediate TLC from the lovely people at Hurley's PICU. That little incident created more worry, than long term harm. It's not even relevant to put on his medical forms at this point. Technicaly, our FIRST trip to the ER.

Fast forward almost 4 years, and he shoves a purple crayon tip so far up his nose, no one in Genesee county can manage to get it out. Off to the Genesys ER. (Love you Hurley, but was sooooo happy we didn't have to take a field trip to your lovely establishment.) Now follow along. This is sort of like a really, really not fun board game. Remeber every time you pass the space that says "Medical Professional" you pay $40. So the crayon is stuck, I can't get it out with any of the mom tricks. Fine, we'll go to the peditrician (Wednesday...by far our most chaotic day. FYI) Pediatrician tries, can't get it out. We should go to an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat). Fine. That was actually getting us closer to home. Dr. Robins. Highly recommend. Met us at the office after his hospital hours. His office is closed on Wednesday. He swaddles Brady. I lay on top of him, holding his head. Hoping it's not SUPER easy to snap your own child's neck. After 10 or so minutes of this, we were all exhausted, kicking, and screaming. BRADY, not me...geesh!

Which is how we ended up in the emergency room. Again, other than the above mentioned, I had never been a patient of, or taken the children to the emergency room. I didn't even know how. I asked the Doctor. He probably thought I was blonde. So (I'm thinking) we really just go up to the desk (past the bleeding woman and the very, very stout woman in the wheelchair with all of her earthly belongings) and just say "Hi. He has a crayon is his nose?" That just seemed...too easy. Won't they want to know if this is REALLY an emergency. I mean, they have huge letters on the outside that indicate you should only be here in an EMERGENCY. For the record, I'm no doc, but all the people there were not experiencing an emergency. That sign is false advertising. Just so you know.

So long, painful story short. The crayon is out of the nose. I did not choose to keep it for the baby book. I did however take a couple pictures of him in his minature hospital gown with my camera phone. You have to document those exciting days somehow.

One more point that should be noted: I like to talk to people, just a little. Even in the worst situations, having someone to talk to makes me feel tons better. There we were, in what I believe is the triage area. Really trying to block out the moaning woman who needed a bed pan and had a CHARLIE HORSE (her emphasis, not mine)...and what to my wondering eyes should appear? One of my neighbors! See? Our God is good...all the time! He gave me someone to chat with in the emergency room. How cool is that?

I'm sure now that we've "let the horse out of the barn", we will surely experience multiple trips to the ER in the next several years. The good news, I now know where to check in and what to expect. Maybe I'll see you there? (For the record. I really hope not.)

1 comment:

Brittan said...

ER trips are NOT fun! And not cheap! Glad he okay though.